Search This Blog

Monday, November 04, 2019

It's Been Awhile, Movie Inspiration



It's been awhile since I wrote in this blog. I stopped writing because I was under the impression that no one was actually reading it. Then I came to the conclusion that I still benefit from writing these posts even if no one reads them. If you do read them, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read my ramblings.
I have plenty stirring in my heart. There are multiple thoughts I could share , but there is one I just must share now.
I rented the movie, Mary Magdalene. There are aspects of this movie that I hate. Especially the ending. The Bible shares a touching connection that Jesus and Mary share at the tomb, which the movie completely ignored. It also brought into question the gospel by accusing Peter of following his own misguided judgement. Despite these glaring failures, the movie was breathtaking and a one of a kind treasure.
Watching the interactions between Mary and Jesus stirred my jealous heart. I wanted what Mary had. I wanted to be seen like Mary. I wanted to leave everything behind to follow Jesus. I wanted to make Him laugh. I wanted to overcome my fear of man so I could commit to the only Man who mattered.
This movie made me curious why God chose to send His Son when he did. Was it because of the crucifixion, which came into practice during Roman rule? Or was it because the disciples and Mary had the capacity to believe in Jesus like no other generation. I just started asking God this question: why them and why then? He hasn't given me a definitive answer yet, but He did remind me that I live in a time and place that God is manifesting His presence in a unique way as well. He appreciates that I long to know Him like Mary, but He doesn't want me to belittle my mission and calling when comparing myself to her. I don't exactly know what that looks like, but it encourages me.
If you want to escape complacency and draw closer to your Savior, I would suggest you watch this movie. Be prepared to be stirred by jealousy.


Next blog, I hope to share about my most recent endeavor of directing a play that I wrote. God taught me many things that I plan to share.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

What a beautiful desire. To have that tenderness like Mary and Jesus. To have no fear of man because you are focused on the best man. I like the way you said that. Thanks for sharing! -Amanda O