Search This Blog

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Mental Health Facilities

Mental Health Professionals don't have an ideal job; but it is a rewarding one. Some people who suffer from mental illness are paranoid. Often these patients are convinced that doctors and nurses are out to kill them. I was one of these patients. Even to this day, I wonder if taking medication is the best option for me. Nevertheless, there is evidence that people who are medicated can live productive lives. I especially like NEC inpatient in Auburn. It is far from perfect. It is a small, understaffed facility, but the system works.
I am a regular at NEC inpatient and outpatient. My mother has also been a patient. I have some horrific memories of NEC because the patients are dealing with real hardships. They often lash out at the staff. They require too much from a staff already overworked. They are often dehydrated and recovering from medication reactions or drug overdoses.
My last stay was different than my previous ones. This time my doctor appeared generally concerned about his patients. You could tell he was wearing his self thin. I wanted to tell him to go home and take care of himself, but I could tell his patients were like his children. He  wasn't going to allow them to suffer.
I am indebted to this facility and these staff members. I already miss them and wish I could spend more time with them.

No comments: