Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2015

That's Why




For a dynamic season, God continued to direct me back to Song of Solomon. Lost in love, the wedding story resonated with me. This book revolutionized my understanding of the Spirit of God. During my meditations, I often tripped on a specific passage. Song of Solomon 1:7-8 meant something to me, but I could not uncover what; until now.

Tell me, you whom my soul loves,
where you pasture your flock,
where you make it lie down at noon;
for why should I be like one who veils herself
beside the flocks of your companions?

If you do not know,
O most beautiful among women,
follow in the tracks of the flock,
and pasture your young goats
beside the shepherds' tents.

The bride is beautiful, but she doesn't necessarily understand how beautiful. To open her eyes, her groom suggests that she test her beauty by the shepherd's tents. In her active and open lifestyle, the bride will find that a veil protects her from hard work, a distracted eye, and lessor lovers. Her veil covers her beauty; the groom can keep her to himself. If she doesn't understand her beauty, she will see no need for a veil. She thinks no one will notice her. The groom acknowledges her beauty and understands the need for a veil. He can see her radiance, so he requires a head covering.

I relate to this passage because I always underestimate my beauty. I might know God finds me beautiful, but I think others consider me a burden. I assume no one finds me attractive. However, God knows the aspects of my personality that are attractive and eye-catching. Requiring all of me, God veils these qualities. Our good qualities often draw others to God, which is good. If our qualities draw others to us, we need to cover ourselves with a veil. "If you don't know, oh most beautiful among women", you need to wear a veil to consecrate your beauty; such beauty is for the Lord.

No comments: