Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Worthy and Rejected

"He was despised and forsaken of men, 
a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; 
and like one from whom men hide their face .
He was despised, and we did not esteem Him."


I am attracted to the meekness of my Lord. It continues to marvel my soul that He chose sorrow over vanity. He chose rejection over acceptance. He chose jeers over applause. In those moments, when He could have called fire down from heaven, He chose to aquaint Himself with sufferings. I will never understand that humility, but it will intrigue me for eternity.


He didn't only experience rejection during His earthly ministry; He continues to experience rejection. Not only from those who discount His rule, but from me, a self-proclaimed devoted follower. How often I disrespect His holiness. How often I ignore His leading. How often I take His everlasting love for granted. How often I despise and esteem Him not. 


How helpful for me that He is acquainted with a state of rejection and knows how to handle Himself. He doesn't rely on the world's affirmations. He doesn't require that I build His ego. He doesn't need a spec of dust to remind Him of His worth.


Even more astounding: He finds treasure in those rejections. He finds solitude and suffers. He escapes into the hurt and produces something divine and humble. He experiences a character of godliness. An attribute that only Jesus can truly express. For He is the only one found worthy of all praise and yet men despise Him. He doesn't wallow in self-pity. He produces unconditional love and resides in meekness.

No comments: