Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Our Frame, A Faded Mirror

God created man in His image. Therefore, I receive glimpses of God when I observe humanity. I am not referring to the observation of humanity's actions or even humanity's character. I am referring to humanity's physical frames.

Jesus has eyes, so when I catch the eyes of my pastor during a moment of conviction, I can glimpse the fire in His eyes. These glimpses are starting to become more potent. God's physical nearness is approaching, if that can even translate to my readership. While I am near others, I sense that the Lord's manifest presence is dwelling in His people by the Spirit. At times, it is overwhelming.



I will make eye contact with a Christian, and the following reality will break into my spirit: Jesus is a man of flesh and blood with a resurrected body and His Spirit is residing in our vessels. A wave of imperceptibility still remains. I continue to mourn the fact that His face is still distorted until the final day. However, as I gaze into this faded mirror called my fellow human being, I can see a glimpse of God's Son.


Now I realize there may be some readers who are cringing at these words, labeling me an "idolater". They may be quoting the praise lyric, "there is no one like You in heaven or on the earth." They may be ready to stone me. I don't deny them the right to criticize me because I often fear I may elevate man's image. However, after much condemnation of self, I realized the following:


Why do we find it more acceptable to say, "That man is a servant like Jesus" than it is to say, "That man has brown eyes like Jesus."? One may simply argue that we never compare physical attributes because there is no Gospel record of Jesus's physical appearance (excepting the white hair reference in Revelation!) Therefore, we shouldn't make such comparisons. Yet, I would argue that it is far more bold to say that "a man serves like Jesus" than it is to say "a man has brown eyes like Jesus." It is far more likely that Jesus had brown eyes. It is less likely that a man could serve with the same humility as Jesus. Let's make this even more simple. It is far more likely that Jesus had 10 fingers just like you have 10 fingers. It is less likely you can heal a man born blind. Our temple is much more like Jesus. Our spirit still needs sanctification.


The temple is holy. I believe His church is not only beautiful because it acts righteous and serves. I think our physical appearance is breathtaking. That is why the Gospel is good news! We will have resurrected bodies. When we see Him, we will be like Him. He became like us and took on our form. Therefore, when I see His ambassador's frames, I experience a supernatural euphoria and wonder. We are His body.

No comments: