Search This Blog

Thursday, September 01, 2011

My Heart Expands for the Holy Lands

Today I was in my Global Governance class, a divine providence. My senses were pricked as I considered what this class will hold for me.The class will take a group trip to Chicago for a mock UN gathering. Students will represent countries. Taylor has the honor of representing Israel. I take this honor seriously.
The majority of the class appeared to support a Palestinian State. The teacher asked what are some words that the international community places on Israel. "Pushy" and "Illegitimate" were named. One student said,"Theologically, some consider it the chosen land." When that was said, most of the class laughed. I didn't join their laughter.
I love the Palestinian people who I know. It doesn't bother me that they want a state. It doesn't bother me that they want to be heard and respected. It doesn't bother me that they want to have a place to call home. It bothers me that people don't consider the land holy, whatever name it is given, Israel or Palestine.
I don't want to rattle people's political cages. I just want to state that, as a Christian, I think what happens in the Middle East is relevant to every human who has lived, is living, or will live. Jesus is jealous for that land. I am not a die hard Zionist (although I consider the history of that movement fascinating). As a believer, I honor the Jews and I honor the land that God chose to birth His Son.
As I study and prepare for the UN conference in Chicago, pray for wisdom, a gracious tongue, and a community of honor.