Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Daily Bread


Now that I am a poor student who is trying to avoid financial worry, I have decided not to hoard. I will do this by a “daily bread” experiment. Instead of buying food at the beginning of the week to prepare for my week of meals, I will instead buy my meals each day, trusting God to provide.

Now I am sure dietitians are turning over in their graves. I am sure all those mothers, who have coupons and plans meals a month in advance, are petrified. However, so far it has taught me about God's concern for the poor and God’s mandate for us not to be entangled by the “cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches”.

My identity remains in my reliance of God even in my poverty. I need to be a steward of my finances, but that doesn’t mean I store food in barns. (Luke 12:16-21). It means I am to be extravagant in giving, trusting, and serving. Since the experiment started I now notice it is a more pleasurable to eat food because it is an act of worship.

No comments: