Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Not Yet

God will never tempt. James 1:13 states “Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am being tempted by God,’ for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.”

However, sometimes I feel like God is flirtatious. I am aware that flirtation is banned in the Bible, heavily in Proverbs. Therefore, I am not declaring that God is flirtatious. I am only admitting that I FEEL like He is flirting with His people.

On Friday night, I was listening to worship songs centered on the infinite faithfulness and beauty of God’s love toward us who believe. As I sat there, I complained to the Spirit. These songs stir my affections more, but they also make me feel broken. I can soak in His presence through the declarations of His goodness, but I can drown in my loneliness and the “not yet” of the Christian faith.

I hear, “He is faithful and true. He will return soon!” I believe it! I don’t mock His coming! I know He will come quickly! Yet, as always, I want Him not only to come quickly- I want Him to come more quickly. These love songs and rituals of declaring the goodness of God seem like a flirtation. It leaves me with the hope of more brilliance to come. It also leaves me with an ache for more.

A Song to Go Along

No comments: