Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Cure for Temptation


All humans deal with temptation. We want to hold onto the hope that we won’t fall under the power of our temptations. There are practices we employ to aid our defenses. We avoid the temptation, we pray for protection, or we remind ourselves of the negative consequences.
I don’t like to fall under temptations because I owe my allegiance to the fairest of men, Christ Jesus. He is the greater pleasure. In His house there is fullness of joy.

Still, I am not immune. There are temptations that I must continually suppress. There are some temptations I know I can't overcome on my own. They lure me away in my moments of weakness. They come when I begin to doubt God’s goodness.

The Bible says God will not tempt you and He will always give you a way of escape. I am convinced that the best defense against the enemy’s enticements is the following: we must remember that this world has nothing for us and God is the superior delight.

Jesus was brought into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil (Found in Matthew 4:1-11).

God” is found in each of Jesus’s reply.
1. “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of GOD.”
2. “You shall not put the Lord your GOD to the test.”
3. “You shall worship the Lord your GOD and him only shall you serve.”

Jesus wasn’t just fighting the enemy. He was reminding Himself that He served a greater master. When temptation arises, I desperately attempt to redirect my affections toward my mighty Creator. We can't just run from the temptation. We must also allow God to rescue us from ourselves.

No comments: