Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

αργον

The title to this blog is pronounced "are gone" in the English language. It is a Greek word translated like this: free from labour, at leisure, lazy, or shunning the labour which one ought to perform. This word is found in Matthew 12:36.
"But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."
I will eventually be forced to "give account" for every word spoken. I lazily use words and I use them without pause. My words should be crafted with care, but often they just fall out of my mouth. I attempt to control my tongue, but James clearly states that it is impossible to tame the tongue (James 3:1-8).
There is a conception that if one repents of his or her misdeeds and his or her misspeaks that "God will show mercy and not rebuke on judgement day". There are concessions for sins to be forgiven and dismissed, but I don't think our careless words are exempt from punishment. God will deal with every idle word. We must speak with caution, especially me- the babbler.

No comments: