Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Protected from Sin

A popular message for this generation is the “sin battle”. We are told to war against Satan and resist the temptation to sin. I know those who have struggled with drug addiction, sexual addictions, alcoholism, homosexuality, and various other sins. To defeat these demons, my friends spend hours in heated prayer and attend cleansing conferences. They are encouraged to “take up the full armor of God”.

Honestly, I rarely battle sin. From my youth, I owned an instinctive craving for holiness and purity. I had this innate desire to know God and prove to Him that I was willing to live righteously. I avoided sin because I truly hated it. I didn’t put forth any powerful effort to keep myself unstained by the world. I was simply protected by grace. I was hemmed in on all sides.

I must admit my own bewilderment. Why did God give me the grace to live holy while my neighbor is shackled by sin? God set a standard for my life and I followed. I don’t think I am better than anyone else, but I know I am different. I know His strength has sustained me. I know sin is far from me. I know God guards my spirit and I will dance in His charity.

I wrote this, wanting to understand this doctrine of battling sin. What is your experience?

No comments: