Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Playing Dress Up for Father



I often rely on my image. In high school, I was in show choir and theater. You cannot be in these activities without spending time obsessing over image. Not all actresses are drop-dead gorgeous, but all actresses realize the craft involves presenting an image/character.

There is a false perception that women only dress up to attract men or to get a respectable job. Female beauty is more complicated. Women long to be beautiful because God created us to be beautiful. Beauty has very little to do with wearing the latest trends or attempting to look like a Hollywood star. Beauty has little to do with how many men take a second peek. For me, beauty is a form of self expression.

Beauty is about the artistic nature of women. We long to express ourselves and we love discovering our God given beauty. When we look in the mirror and respect the person looking back at us, we find contentment. Some girls can express power when they wear jeans. Some girls can express modesty by wearing a scarf on their head. Some women display mystery by using eyeliner. Some women, like myself, express wisdom by wearing glasses. :)

Some may label the pursuit of beauty as "a vain endeavor" (last time I checked, it is all vanity). Today I spent money on hair products when I could have donated that money to the Japan Disaster Relief. Believe me, I struggled with this choice. However, after I pampered myself, I realized that God isn't offended by my desire for beauty. He enjoys me.

During a time of worldwide turmoil, God is revealing His desire for a beautiful restoration. He beckons me to escape the worry and find the beauty. He is telling me the story of the shepherd boy, David, who apparently was handsome and a psalmist. God is calling me to look at the stars, the sunrise, and the little rivers. He is allowing me to embrace humanity, in fallenness and sainthood. God's creation is beautiful, valley and mountain.

Remember, the glorious Holy Spirit resides in our vessel. We need not fear our mirror. I daily look at my face and remind myself that God said:

O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the secret place of the steep pathway, let me see your form, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your form is lovely.

No comments: