Search This Blog

Monday, January 15, 2024

It Can Be a Concert

    


I'll get straight to the point. Worship can be a concert. Worship can be entertaining. Worship can include expensive lights, fancy sound systems, talented singers, and exuberant and raucous crowds. This might offend some Christians who prefer their reverent and tame services. Certain Christians often cling to a canon of reverent songs and exclude songs that feel too modern or rambunctious. However, I am more and more convinced that God requires worship that is emotional, high-spirited, personal, and empowering. It takes on many forms, and I don't devalue free expression.
    When Jesus met the woman at the well, He emphasized that one must worship in Spirit and in truth. This means anyone who wishes to worship must first acknowledge that Jesus is Lord and be honest in their worship. Therefore, it seems to be less about lofty standards, and more about motivation and faith. I have encountered Christians who have an aversion to worship that comes in the form of a concert. They get uncomfortable when Christian music is similar to secular forms. (I am not referring to secular lyrics, I am referring to secular composition, which include things like thunderous beats and catchy melodies.)
    I saw a video of Christians worshipping along with a Christian rapper. The crowd was extremely energetic and shouting truths about God's character. There were some naysayers who accused the teens of becoming "like the world in their worship". That accusation irked me because "the world" doesn't claim Christ as Messiah. These teens were shouting to the roof tops that Jesus is Christ! Our God owns rap just as much as He owns our beloved hymns.
    The song by Brandon Lake entitled "Count 'Em" is a perfect example of this concept. It might be easy to assume that Brandon Lake has copied a musical genre to sell records to a larger crowd. The song is catchy and the composition is more modern. Someone might assume that this song doesn't glorify God because it sounds too secular. I disagree with such an assumption. God is redeeming all musical forms. When I hear this song, I feel God's power. The song is also well written and the backup choir is crazy talented. God is a singing God, and I have no qualms with rocking out to this powerful expression of worship. Worship can be a concert!

No comments: