Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Martin Luther and Me


Martin Luther is on my mind, a pestering earworm. I find myself asking questions. How much conviction and bravery did it take to challenge a foundational institution? How often did he wrestle with insecurity and confusion? Did he know his conviction would lead to a fundamental change in the practice of faith for millions? If I shared his distaste for the abuse of church power, would I have done the same thing?

I need to read more about him. I have a basic knowledge of what he did to start the protestant reformation. I can envision him with hammer, pounding a nail into the doors of the Castle Church at Wittenberg. Even though I can envision his actions, I haven't study his theses in depth. I haven't read his other works. I watched one movie about him. I was reared in a protestant church, so my catechism teachings have some foundation in his choice to question the church's improper use of indulgences. However, I don't know why he felt the necessity to act. I hope to remedy that.

This stirs my own conviction, wondering if I should follow in his footsteps. I have some grievances against organized religion too. Do I just remain silent. Do I journal about it with no real intention of forcing others to listen to my inclinations? Do I get dogmatic and preach against the current church model like a raging lunatic? Haven't come to any conclusion yet.

What are my grievances? I fear liturgical church has stifled the Holy Spirit. I don't think liturgy is inherently wrong. Actually, it can be very beautiful and unifying.  However, the concept of a required, rigorously scheduled service steals my peace. Arrive at 9:30am. Grab a coffee and fellowship in the lobby. Service starts at 10:00am. Worship is done at 10:30. Announcements follow. Preacher preaches for 30 to 45 minutes. Lord's supper once a month. Collection/Tithe is collected. Two more worship songs. Congregation is dismissed. This schedule is easily found in many evangelical churches. More traditional churches are even more liturgical, even coming with a manual guide called a bulletin.

Church liturgy and schedules are not inherently evil, but it feels like a grocery list to me. I assume it makes it easier on the church staff to have a consistent template for worship services. It makes everything ordered and easy. It fits into our American culture, everything neat and tidy. However, as someone who has encountered God powerfully in prayer rooms, a sanitized and predictable service lacks luster and authenticity. I want churches to function more like prayer gatherings because the soul purpose can be free fellowship with the Spirit, obtaining revelatory knowledge of God, loving Jesus, and engaging with our neighbor. I think church services could become prayer services without losing anything! All of the spiritual gifts could function. I believe there is a path to altering the current church model to function more like a house of prayer.

Last Sunday, I really didn't want to attend church. I wanted to meet with God and His people! I just didn't want to go through the motions again. Actually, the church I attend is better with its service than many I have attended. However, even this church falls into the rut of doing things how we have always done them. (I don't blame the leadership for this!) I decided to attend church despite my vexation. I was pleasantly surprised. The service did follow its regiment for the most part. However, they intentionally stopped the regular service to give the Spirit time. It was only about 5 to 7 minutes. It didn't last long, but it was exactly what I needed. My anxiety left. I could just sit in my chair without having to engage in the rigmarole of a typical service. I could saturate myself in the presence of Christ and listen to His Spirit. Peace flooded me. It's possible that God can change an engrained pattern, if He desires. He can remove the idol of organized church and reinstitute His house of prayer.

I don't claim to have this all sorted out. I realize this idea might be far more complicated than I can even imagine, but after witnessing the Asbury revival, I know it's possible. Unlike Martin Luther's calling, I don't feel the need to reprimand our current church model. I don't think liturgical practices are wicked. It's just an old wine skin, and Jesus is pouring out wine that might require a new wine skin. This change might not be a global movement. Perhaps, it is simply the type of service I need.

No comments: