Search This Blog

Sunday, May 14, 2023

The Aftermath

I did it! I wrote a script, which finally made it's way to the stage. "Our Little Revolution" came to me in 2008, and it reached fruition in 2023! Despite all my doubts and insecurities, people came and appeared to enjoy it. I had conversations with people who broke down in tears. I hate to admit that this was my goal, but it certainly was an objective. I received accolades alongside some minor push back.

The play was about abortion. It had an obvious pro-life message, but the foremost theme was about having difficult conversations and working through disagreement. I might pick the script up again and make changes. There were obvious flaws in dialogue, continuity, and character development. There are two character that I want to flesh out more. However, I also have an inkling to just let it go. It was what it was. I don't envision it finding another stage unless someone actually approaches me about it. It was here and now it's gone. This play has lost it momentum. I want to write about new characters, new settings, new themes, and invigorate my creativity with other possibilities.

This whole process has taught me lesson upon lesson. (Most of those lessons are too personal and raw to share.) My cast and I were able to reflect on the process, and that was the most rewarding aspect. This play was only for a select few. The theatre is a small community theatre with Christian values. It wasn't meant to draw massive crowds. Due to the intimacies of the community, I was able to have deep conversations with those who experienced it. I'm thankful I wasn't inundated with mass crowds coming to give less than heart-felt congratulations. A space was miraculously created for catharsis. This venture was never about elevating my talents; it was about giving the community a place to face their pain and perhaps find mechanisms to heal that pain.

I'm not delusional. This play didn't meet my high standards. I was lazy as a playwright, and my directing skills need refinement. For this very reason, I chose a life in community theatre instead of within a professional setting. I am not looking for hype, unbelievable skill, or excessive self-promotion. It's about instilling a love for theatre in the amateur. Two of my actors had little previous stage experience. It gave me an unspeakable joy to work with them as they discovered the glamorous exercise of embodying someone who is both like you and not like you at all.

I must confess that I am experiencing the unexpected emotion of despondency. I poured energy and emotion into this script since 2008. My life has been a rollercoaster for those fifteen years. I've matured and turned into someone I could have never predicted. It amazes me how much theatre teaches me about myself. Sometimes it is a welcomed journey, and sometimes it is uncomfortable. I'm thankful I have another project; otherwise, I might fall into a depression. Now, I am co-directing a play for 28 teenagers. I'll be busy, so I won't have time to grieve the ending of "Our Little Revolution".

I am beyond thankful for my cast and crew: Micah, Jacob, Judy, Dakota, Karen, Jason, Carter, Seth, and Stacie. Their love and support are a rare treasure. I want to thank Rachel and Danny for being there in 2008 to encourage me when God called me to write this script. I also want to thank them for making the trip to see it in 2023. I also want to thank Lisa, Isabel, and dad for making the trip too. It is always pleasant to share theatre with family. Obviously, I want to thank EVERYONE who filled a seat. I can't mention everyone by name, but you know who you are!! Finally, I want to thank everyone who donated to First Choice and Lil Miracles. I don't just want to have an esoteric experience that does nothing to change society. I want to love them both, mother and unborn child.

No comments: