Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2023

My Personal Progression

    



 People change in their lifetime. It is inevitable. Experience changes our perceptions; it changes our approach. Although, I haven't made a full conversion, I do find myself appreciating the progressive church. Don't get too concerned; I haven't turned my back on tradition. It isn't that far advanced. I'm only considering this new movement and wondering what Jesus would think about our current social atmosphere.

    I find myself attracted to the progressive movement because I think the disciples of Jesus were progressive. The organized religious leaders (Pharisees and Sadducees) were so bound to their laws and religion that they weren't able to recognize the Messiah. They berated healings and mocked love for the sake of an empty religion. The disciples (and later the Apostle Paul) revolutionized the Jewish faith. They embraced a new (or correct) approach. They came to the realization that the world would and could never be the same after the resurrection. They progressed.

    I admire that the Christian faith has never really been stagnant. Since Judaism and Christianity are based on a personal covenant between God and man, humanity's relationship to God is always expanding and morphing. Certainly, God never changes! However, our ability to understand Him is always progressive.

    I grew in a church that taught that the Bible was the last revelation needed for the church. I don't think I share that belief anymore. It's not because I think the Bible is flawed or insufficient. I simply believe that God never stops revealing His nature to His people, and His nature can't be encompassed in one book. I am thankful that the Bible is fully able to reveal that Jesus is the Messiah. That is ALL that is needed for salvation. The Bible is the manuscript God uses to call non-believers into the faith. However, in my humble and not so educated mind, I think God still has more to reveal once salvation has occurred. That is why I believe that the Holy Spirit is a progressive Revelator.

    Please don't fear. I understand that there are false teachers. There are people who twist scripture or deny scripture. We need to constantly check scripture to verify truth. I am simply suggesting that God isn't done. He has much more to teach us. He has much more to reveal. He wants to have an intimate relationship with us, and I don't believe that can be achieved by simply studying a book.

    I'm writing this blog because I am comfortable with my current wrestling and want to go public with my thoughts. I don't want to be afraid to contemplate how God speaks to His people. As I look at Jesus's lifetime, I can't help but notice His love for a secret and His joy in revealing that secret. I don't think this aspect of His nature will ever cease.

    There is a scripture verse that never fails to convict me when I falsely believe that my religious exploits or my religious doctrine will bring me closer to God.

"But the testimony that I have is greater than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen, and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life."

    When I contemplate that last verse, I feel a conviction that Jesus is above the law. Scripture is needed to lead people to the Truth. And then that Truth leads us into all righteousness. But, I can search the scripture and fail to find Jesus. I must come to Him, not to the letter of the law.

    I celebrate that God is personal, and not far off. He's not a concept. He took on flesh. True, Jesus will never accept a progressive church that denies Him, but I don't want to strictly assume that things must remain the same. Perhaps, God is doing a new thing in our lifetime. He might be making us uncomfortable, so we can reconsider our ways. Maybe this progressive movement will lead us back to a purer understanding of scripture. Maybe we will learn, in a new way, how to love those who are downcast and ostracized. At least, that is my hope.

    Again, I want to repeat what I have already stated numerous times in this blog: scripture leads us to salvation by revealing Jesus as Messiah. It's needed! It also has powerful moral laws that must be followed. I can accept that while also embracing that God can continue to be revelatory even after scripture is canonized. It's something I am considering, and I hope to have some wholesome conversations with people who might disagree.

No comments: