Search This Blog

Monday, July 04, 2022

I Am Not a Government Entity



Over the last few days, I've been processing what it means to be an American. It's appropriate I write this blog today; the nation is celebrating the Fourth of July. I was going to keep my musings to myself, but I felt moved to share. I write these words not necessarily to prove a point or influence others. My true motive is self-reflection, writing helps me discover gems about my motives and perceptions.

I could have kept this self-reflection private. However, I felt impressed to share. Sharing didn't come easily because I was concerned that my words may be misconstrued. Others might find my words offensive. Others might label me as a religious fanatic or closed-minded. I can understand those knee-jerk reactions. There are plenty of Christians who hold my same views who are also bullies parading their self-righteousness and who love to dominate conversations. I hope I don't fall into that category. I can share their beliefs while not sharing their motives and outward callousness. With all that being said, here is why I struggle to be an American.

I'm a patriot. I don't think America is a horrible county. It might not be perfect, but often the good outweighs the bad. However, in the current political climate, I wrestle with inner turmoil. Our democracy is breeding a false worldview that is increasingly negative toward Christians. As an American, I believe that the government has no power over personal religion and politics. The conception of separation of church and state is inherent, or at least implied, in the constitution. I am grateful that the government doesn't force faith on it's populace. 

However, I am not a government entity. I am a human being who fully subscribes to the tenants of the Christian faith. One of those tenants is evangelism. God calls us to advance His kingdom of love and justice. Often when I start discussing faith with someone, it quickly turns into a political argument. People are quick to say, "You have the right to believe whatever you want, but I am free to make my own decision." Unfortunately, that argument  takes a spiritual conversation and makes it political. I believe that people don't want to acknowledge spiritual bankruptcy, so people turn to something that gives them a false sense of security—their American liberties. People don't want to admit they are lonely, so they attach themselves to a political party. People don't want to admit they are slaves to sin, so they champion their American freedoms. People don't want to admit they are confused and lost, so they hold tightly to their American heritage. People are too American, so they miss the opportunity to have a healthy conversation about spirituality.

I remember the first time I heard a sermon about how God is a gentlemen. God gave us free-will. He will never force His laws and tenants on a human being. He's kind, patient, and accepting. There are some Christians who are too aggressive when it comes to evangelism. They turn people off to the gospel because they are hostile and brash. However, there is a remnant who actually cares about people's feelings. We ascribe to the idea that you ARE free to make your own decision. Unfortunately, this truth has now been mangled into a faulty protection against any real discussion of faith. "I'm free not to listen to you" is a dangerous conclusion.

I use to be a very political person who was outspoken and pushy. I am constantly beating myself up about that past. I now realize how much damage I did, albeit unknowingly. Now I tend to veer to the other extreme. I remain quiet, I listen, and I accept. I am trying to find a middle ground where I respect other's freedoms while never giving up my passion to share the gospel that truly sets a person free. Don't be so married to your American liberties that you ignore the pain in your soul. Reach out to a spiritual person to address spiritual issues.

No comments: