Search This Blog

Friday, March 09, 2018

Reckless Love



I wanted to research Reckless Love by Cory Asbury. I wanted to know what inspired him to write the song. Unfortunately, I was taken down a rabbit hole. I fell unwillingly. Apparently, there is a controversy brewing around the song. Certain people take issue with the word "reckless". They suggest it is an improper, non-biblical expression of God/God's love. I had to simply shake my head. Why do members of the church stir division and welcome divisiveness over the smallest matters?  Maybe "reckless" wasn't the perfect word to describe God's love. However, it is Cory's song. We should love him and welcome his choice, especially since his intent was pure. Listening to him explain why he wrote the song confirms that he understands the Gospel.

Satan wants to distract us. He wants us fighting and debating. He wants us to lose hope. He wants us to expect disappointment. Today, I experienced that disappointment. If church members keep squelching the movement of the Spirit, why would God continue to fan the flame? If the church craves division over unity, why waste my time trying to convince the church to LOVE one another? If we are nasty to one another in public, why would the nonbeliever seek redemption in Christ? There are so many conflicting and divisive narratives out there. How can my voice change any of that? Will my desire for unity ever be realized?

I had to force these negative thoughts out of my heart. I had to silence the accuser. Jesus prayed for unity. It will come to pass. We are already unified; we just need to work hard to preserve the bond of peace. I decided that I needed to ignore the negativity and turn my eyes upward. Suddenly, the disappointment vanished. My father is a good father. I don't need to fear man. God is over all. I don't need to welcome despair or tolerate division. I can pray. I can encourage the church. I can do what God has called me to do. I can ignore the accuser of the brethren and sing, "He's coming after me!" I want a God with reckless love.

No comments: