Search This Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Asking for the Extra Gifts




For the past several years, I limited my prayers. My desperation nurtured prayers for God's presence, but starved out every other request. Recently, God reminded me He is the Father of Lights: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."
During a worship service, a man came to the front and gave an invitation to the congregation; they were to ask God for what they wanted without limits. As I meditated on a limitless supply of gifts, I was astounded by how many desires I found. My prayer life was dried up and I had neglected my hopes. 
I started writing a list of wants, which was an extensive list. As I listed each item, I knew each gift would require a level of faith. More than faith, it would require the assurance that God is good and ready to give.
Several prayer request were sent up and many of them God has already answered. God never nurtures our greed, but He is unwilling to leave us a orphans. He doesn't neglect His children. He isn't offended when we cry out to Him for our longings, even if those longings appear trivial to us. He wants to hear our voice and wants to answer. But, my deepest desire is not that I would receive, but that I would give everything to Him whom I love.

No comments: