Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Cheerful Receiver



Matthew 7:1
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!

I must repent of a false mindset. I envision God more as a taskmaster and not as a Father. I avoid asking Him for things, thinking I do not deserve them. I treat God's grace like a paycheck: if I do something for God then He can bless me. Blatantly, I stifle God's miraculous power simply because I want to earn all gifts. I rob God of His delight—the delight to give gifts without condition or restraint.

God does not give gifts begrudgingly or under obligation. It actually delights Him. His nature is cheerful and eager to bless. This is a simple and obvious truth about God's nature; nevertheless, for most of my life, I have not embraced this cheerful part of God. How foolish.

Recently, a friend offered to pay my rent for six months. I considered turning it down. In my twisted logic, I thought such a gift would make me a lazy worker or would fail to teach me about finances. As I look back on my reasoning, I realize how prideful I am. God wants to lavish His love on me and provide for me. I should NOT disregard His abundant love for me, and I should celebrate His provision. Why would I rob God of His delight?

Recently, my prayer life flows out of the abundance of love and appreciation. Therefore, I rarely spend time asking God for things. I am too busy enjoying His presence or thanking Him for His grandness. God is challenging me to ask for more gifts so He has more power to move. As I make a list of wants, I realize how lacks I am with asking God for even the most basic desires of my heart. As I start asking Him for these items, I feel His delight. Knowing God wants to answer my requests, I feel faith and joy. It is beautiful to accept God's fatherly, giving nature. Instead of feeling like a burden to Him, I now feel like a child.

Here is a few items off the list.

Raise the finances to return to Taylor University.
I want to graduate in three years.
Visit Redding, California for a conference at Bethel church.
Take a trip to Israel.
Find a best friend.
Lose 40 pounds.
Get furniture for my new apartment.

Even as I look at the list, I realize above all of these, I want more of God's presence.

No comments: