Search This Blog

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Beyond MY Community



Today I didn't have the pleasure of attending MY church. MY church is where I want to place my roots. It is where I feel most alive. However, currently, I am in a far off country. College is one hour away from MY church. Therefore, I haven’t been as committed to attending every Sunday, although I make every effort to attend when I can.

When I first moved, I took steps to transfer to a local church while attending college, but that endeavor was disappointing. Community looks extremely different in a campus community. I tried to integrate myself into the worship communities here, but my heart never attached. I have this guard on my heart because I can’t imagine another community understanding me like MY church community understands me.

Today I attended a local church instead of MY church. The sermon was on community. I must admit it felt awkward and offensive. It made me miss MY church, but at the same time, it also suggested I be intentional in seeking out community and building community. I haven’t really done that. I miss my sacred community and can’t seem to create anything worthwhile in my current community.

It is hard to move forward when you find a sweet spot like MY church. I feel comfortable and challenged when I am with MY church family. However, I am currently living in a location where I feel out of step. MY church makes me feel accepted and safe, and now I feel alone and awkward.


Real community is gold. It really is gold. When you find it, you don’t want to part with it. I know God is asking me to serve wherever I can. I know He wants me to build lasting relationships with those I am currently seeing, but I almost feel like moving forward would do a disservice to those I am leaving behind. They hold a piece of my heart that I never want to share with strangers. I belong to MY community and can’t imagine extending my love beyond them.

I must be brave. I must open my arms. I must let my guard down and extend my reach.

No comments: