Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Favorite



I wrote this when I was sleepy. Sorry for the messy, incoherent language.

"We are all God's favorite!"

Many Christians believe that the above statement is 100% accurate. I believe that percentage is too high. God does have favorites. We can't all be His favorite. I can even prove it through scripture.

1. Jesus had 12 disciples. Jesus selected them with care and bestowed favor on them. He gave them the secrets to the kingdom, while He hid the truth from the masses by speaking in parable. He wanted an inner circle that had special access.

2. God has two seats prepared in heaven, which are to the right and the left of Jesus. Whomever receives these places of honor will be granted favor.

3. There are many other examples: "Jacob I love, Esau I hate". God favored David over King Saul. The entire Old Testament speaks about God handing the blessing to some, not all. Showing favor to certain people, like Abraham.

Favoritism is exclusive; not inclusive. For someone to be favored, there must be a ranking system. The word "favorite" requires it. I don't think everyone is God's favorite. I think someone is God's favorite.

I write this because I know someone who God favors more than myself. It creates envy and strife in my heart. I am struggling to understand it. However, I know God's passionately loves this male friend of mine more than He loves me. This may sound crazy. It may sound unthinkable. However, I know this man and I understand that God selected him for a specific purpose. For that purpose to be fulfilled he must have unmerited favor. Tamara is envious, but humbled.


I assume comments may arrive. I am curious if anyone agrees with my assessment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you're probably right about god having "favorites." we talk about david being a man after god's own heart and the disciple that "jesus loved" sometimes. and with some of them it seems to be unmerited favor-- look at the ridiculous shenanigans and terrible things david got up to-- he probably didn't deserve that favor.
the only issue i see is saying that because god has a favorite he "loves" that person more, or has a more specific purpose for them. the reason we don't talk about parents having favorite children (even if they do) is because human love is imperfect-- if we pick a favorite, we give MORE love to one and LESS love to something else. i don't think god has that problem.
and i think to say that you have any less purpose than this friend of yours is pretty ridiculous-- even i can see that you have an incredible purpose.
- anne

Becky Durham said...

I think that even if we tried, we'd never be able to understand all the ways that God shows favor and love. And even a drop of God's love is more than I could ever offer anyone, so if God loves someone more than God loves me--it's doubtful I could even actually really comprehend the difference.

Love your blog header, by the way. I usually read your posts in Google Reader, but clicked through today to comment.

Love you, Peachy!