Search This Blog

Friday, July 01, 2011

Desire to Defend



Recently, I have encountered Christians who have questioned my beliefs, even doubting my salvation. I am tempted to meet such judgments with ridicule and bitterness. I want to gnarl and bite. My soul becomes offended. I love to justify myself.
1. I believe in Jesus
2. I read my Bible
3. I attend church
4. I have been a devoted Christian for 25 years.
These are my puny attempts to defend myself. However, this list doesn’t justify me. I can't lean on my list of goodness. I must lean on Jesus’s mercy and covenant.

Paul had no desire to defend himself. However, his critics forced him to verify his apostleship. His spiritual brothers questioned his conversion and his authority. He was one of the great apostles and still people doubted him.

When someone attempts to belittle your influence in the kingdom, it can agitate the flesh. I love how Paul dealt with adversity. He rested in confidence before the Lord. He avoided boasting, except in his weakness.

1 comment:

Becky Durham said...

Since I am of a reformed tradition in the land of one thousand southern baptist churches...and since I tend to be more liberal than conservative in a land where Christian = Republican is just assumed...and since I don't feel the need to live in a Christian bubble and listen to, wear and do only "Christian" things people question my salvation all the time!

I've learned that trying to verbally justify myself is futile.

Your/my salvation is between each of us and God. I figure the fruit has to speak for itself!