Search This Blog

Monday, May 02, 2011

Two Masters

Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

With my recent return to college, this verse is gaining precedence in my daily thought life. I want to attend a private Christian college, but I honestly can’t afford it. I feel like God has directed me to attend Taylor University. However, the Money Monster is causing me to doubt that calling.

I fear I am a slave to money. I believe that debt, any debt, is a sin. This includes college loans. At the beginning of my college journey, I thought debt was a necessary evil. Now I fear the chains and the future months of repayment. If I avoid debt, I will be forced to avoid graduation too.

My American culture has further complicated the issue. How can I spend thousands of dollars on an education, when $30 a month can feed a starving child? I encounter Christian phrases like “prosperity message” or “poverty spirit”. As the Christian battle rages on the topic of finance, I find myself bewildered. I don’t know what I believe.

I hate money. I want to be free of it, but apparently life isn’t sustainable without it. How can one tell when money is a master?

No comments: