Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Bible: A Small Taste





My favorite gospel is John. The introduction is captivating and authoritative. The world is introduced to the light, Jesus (name means Salvation).

I grew up in church and our denomination was heavy on two topics: our reliance on grace and the authority of scripture. My Sunday school teachers taught me about historical events: David and Goliath, Rahab the Harlot, and Paul and his many adventures. Obviously the hero for all these stories was Jesus.

I have personally experienced a distaste for scripture. This distastes comes from an immense spiritual hunger. Flipping thin, golden lined pages can only satisfy my hunger for a moment; then I crave the Man.

I know many of my friends who are now raising children are going beyond Bible lessons. This up coming generation will understand that Jesus is ALIVE. Scripture gives us a foundation and a historical reference. However, the Holy Spirit is the one who dictates how we perceive scripture and live our daily lives.

The Holy Spirit is not limited by scripture and He is not dependent on it. We use the Bible to know God better, but it isn't the end all. A living breathing relationship with the Holy Spirit is key and not debatable.
I respect scripture and soak in it when my spirit craves foundational understanding. However, when I crave affection, comfort, and freedom, I go straight to the Source.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments: