Search This Blog

Sunday, August 02, 2026

Remembering the Game

Growing up, most people knew me as the show choir/theatre kid. That was my role in high school. That is how I’m featured in my senior high school yearbook.

Then as I pursued college, I embraced theatre more boldly by changing my major from Professional Writing to Theatre. I flourished in this environment. After graduating, I was given multiple opportunities to showcase my talent for all things theatre. I’m beyond grateful for those opportunities and feel some grief that my current situation makes it difficult to participate in theatrical endeavors.

Nevertheless, my current situation has given me the chance to return to one of my first loves—basketball. Not only do I have access to a nice court with my YMCA; I have the same drive and competitive nature that hasn’t lessened with age. I don’t know what comes over me when I get on the court. I don’t know why I get emotionally charged when I watch a Fever game. I suppose my love for the game never died.

I’m not delusional. I know my limitations. I know I’m in my forties. I know I’ll never be a part of a competitive team. These limitations aren’t stopping me from trying my best to land that shot or improve my dribble. I know I’m out of practice and sloppy at times. It doesn’t phase me. I’ve always loved the game since I first picked up a ball. I remember my middle school coach investing in me. I remember getting cut from the freshman team because according to the coaches, “I just wasn’t tall enough”. I have vivid memories of working hard to prove to others that I had a unique edge simply because I was obsessed with the game. My life could have gone completely differently, if I had just chosen to work harder and tried out as a sophomore. I decided differently and found a loving, welcoming community in music and theatre.

I suppose now that God has once again pulled me back to my hometown (despite my protest), I can heal this longstanding brokenness. I can come back to the court and prove to myself that, despite my old age and short stature, I can still work to improve my game and remember how powerful and heavenly it feels to play.

No comments: