Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2026

My AI Thoughts

    As a self-proclaimed artist, I suppose I need a stance on AI art. Many people, artist or not, are critical of AI mimicking human art. As a lover of writing, film, and theatre, I don't necessarily fear AI. I am currently consuming various forms of AI art, specifically AI music mashups and science fiction short films. I will state the unpopular truth: these films and songs are beautifully artistic. These storylines, their ascetics, and their messages aren't lost simply because an artificial intelligence fashioned them.

    I am firmly implanted in an artistic community due to my personal love of all art forms. I understand why my friends are crying out against plagiarism. I understand the argument that real art can only be produced by humans who understand the human condition. I understand why professional artists fear AI replacing them and stealing their livelihood. With all those understandings, I still respect the current technological age. This technological tool is fascinating, and I'm intrigued. I have both watched and listened to AI art that surprisingly caused deep human emotions within myself.

    There is another reason I don't jump on the "artists against AI" bandwagon. I acknowledge that most AI art is far more advanced than my own art, which challenges me. It can be humbling knowing a computer created a more compelling story than anything I have ever written. I just refuse to accept that this beautiful art is less worthy due to the method of its creation.

At times, I feel like I'm back in middle school arguing with my math teacher. 

"Why can't I just use a calculator on my quiz?"

"Because you won't be carrying a calculator with you all day."

How wrong that bit of intellectual pride became, thanks to our iPhone.

   I see AI as a powerful tool, which some artists will fight while other artists embrace. After personally witnessing high tier AI art, I'm not yet ready to claim it's not real art. I want to embrace this time and acknowledge the possibilities. I am open to consider why AI art might be uncomfortable for the invested human artist, perhaps even dangerous. However, at this point in time, I recognize AI art is a beautiful enigma that has me curious and hopeful.

No comments: