Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Reclaiming the Arts

Ever since I decided I wanted to be an actress and a writer, I knew I was going to be a Christian actress and writer. This wasn't always met with enthusiasm. I had college professors who said my work would never find a market because "people don't want to read those types of stories".  I understand this reaction. I'm not blind to the reality that fame and fortune is rare for the Christian artist. Secular agendas are far more accepted and financially promoted. 

However, I still wanted to build my craft through a spiritual lense. In my early years, I considered an Oscar or a Tony to be the pinnacle of success. I dreamed of dressing in expensive gowns and giving a refined, well-rehearsed acceptance speech. Now that I am older, I am thankful that wasn't my path. I have come to the conclusion that Hollywood simply doesn't represent my values. I would be surrounded by alcohol, drugs, sexulization of women and young teens, and other types of vulgarity. I'm sure some Christians can thrive in such a place, but not me. I need a community that supports my beliefs and my faith.

I recently watched the stage version of Sound of Music. I was reminded that good art can be made in a Christian bubble. If written well, Christian messages can find an audience and gain recognition. Wholesome Christian entertainment can thrive in a local community theatre. I have found a creative freedom I didn't know existed. I always thought I would have to apologize for my family friendly scripts. I now know I was fed a lie. I might not be making millions, but I'm creating the art I always wanted to create.

I am still holding myself to a standard. Too often Christian themed scripts or stories can be derivative and too sappy. I want to write something that breaks the mold without disregarding my ethics. It's not an easy path. It would be far simpler to follow the trends. I refuse to do that. I hope that doesn't seem judgemental or self-righteous. I'm not claiming to be holier than others because I write wholesome stories. I am simply expressing my need to be genuine. I don't want to write something because it will gain a larger audience. I want to write something that blesses my Father's heart while also guarding the purity of my audience.

No comments: