Search This Blog

Friday, August 11, 2017

Worshiip


As a worship leader, I am torn. Is it okay for people to take my songs and revamp them, making them their own? In a way, it is flattering. However, hearing my song in a different style could thwart the intent. I went through a period when I used other people's songs to express my emotions. However, I never considered how this practice might offend the original author. I also never considered how it might change my brain chemistry, forcing me to accept an idea I might not have wanted to entertain.

This is very significant in Christian worship. Using God's word to inspire your songs is the very definition of worship. However, it can be frightening to misinterpret His message because you want a chord to fit better or you want a more acceptable lyric. This is one reason I am thankful I never turned my worship into a money making enterprise. My words and worship would become a commodity instead of an intimate encounter with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I will concede that some Christians are called to have public worship to save souls and raise money for good causes.

Since the technological age, people have adopted the practice of taking other people's work and making it their own. I know most of my artist friends at Taylor are hesitant to accept this practice, but at the same time some of our best art is avante garde.


No comments: