Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Understanding Tragedy



With the recent tragic news about Robin Williams, the discussion of mental illness is once again flooding social networks and news media. I am a Christian who suffers from a mental illness, and my mother suffers from severe paranoia. However, just because I have an experience with mental illness, does not also mean I understand William’s battle. That is the frustrating fact about mental illness: all manifestations are different and unique to the sufferer.

Often we attempt, in the proper spirit, to minister to the sufferer. However, we often forget that since the illness distorts reality and perception, the sufferer cannot respond properly to our rationality or our comfort.


When my mother is manic, I can’t calm her down with comforting words. Often when someone is experiencing an episode, the delusions take him or her into another realm. I don’t presume to know how to explain this, but I know it happens. I’ve entered that realm. Even those suffering from depression without hallucinations still deal with an altered state of perception. The cure for mental illness does not rest in our good intentions to help the sufferer. Those attempts often fail.

I believe the most dangerous and ineffective treatments come from the Christian community. I apologize for the offense, but I know this to be true. Christians rightly believe in the demonic and angelic realms, but they improperly use spiritual language to rationalize an illness that is irrational.

Don’t open yourself up to the demonic powers. That will lead to bondage.
Repent of sin. Then Jesus will forgive you and you will feel a new peace.
Break generational curses. It is your parents' sins that have brought this on you.
Read your bible and fight the enemy with scripture. Jesus has won the victory.


These truths may be helpful in some circumstances, but they are NOT the general rule! My doctors suggest that I NOT read my Bible because it appears to exasperate my symptoms. You can imagine my initial disgust for such advice. However, after suffering for so long, I admit my doctors are correct. In my experience, when my symptoms flare, my perception of scripture is excessively flawed. I now only read scripture in small amounts and rest in the grace of God.

I believe every person with mental illness wants a universal answer, but there are no easy answers. I believe in deliverance and freedom, but so far, my greatest peace comes from the simple Gospel message. Jesus as Savoir. All the extra jargon, explanations, suggestions, and comforts do very little to treat my illness. 

If believers heap burdens on a depressed person—like pray more, battle the enemy, don’t watch that movie—that advice will most likely deepen depression. People who suffer from mental illness do not need more heavy burdens or false promises. They need the freedom that comes with the simple message of salvation. I will continue to battle my darkness, but my faith in Christ continues to root me in confidence and hope.God never abandons me; He is faithful.

Our communities must examine themselves to guard against presumptuous judgments or superficial explanations. 


Drugs do not cure mental illness; they only treat the symptoms. NO doctor or scientist can yet explain these illnesses, so why do the layman, the activist, or the news reporter presume to understand? I surely don’t understand my illness. 

I don't need an explanation to calm my nerves; I need a God who fights for me.

No comments: