Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Prosperity Quandary

I know those who believe the "prosperity gospel" is a perversion of the gospel message. Ironically, these same people often own two vehicles, a large screen TV, and have a college education. I don't fully understand what Jesus thought of monetary goods. Does He approve of both expensive and poor lifestyles. Are some called to poverty and others to riches? Or does God require a certain standard for all his followers?

I think money is my greatest worry. This is not because I want more of it. It is because I don't know how God wants me to spend my money. This confusion has only grown since I am returning to college. Isn't debt a sin? I feel called to obtain a degree, but how do I justify spending thousands on an education while there are orphans starving?

I study scripture, and this further complicates the matter. One verse seems to announce that financial blessing is a sign of a righteous living and a repayment for generosity. Then there are other verses that rebuke those who live in luxury and make money their god.

I have always hated money because it makes me a slave. When I was younger, I wanted to live in the forest and eat berries. I thought if I learned to live like the Indians, off the land, I would not have to get a job. I hated the idea of working just to earn money. Who invented this exchange system anyway? That inventor was a fool! Now the whole world is enslaved to money. I think we are all suckers! Why do we let money rule our lives? Why is the economy the main concern of voters? Why don't we just burn those green pieces of paper and trust in God, like the slogan says?

I wish I could get a clear answer from God about this whole money monster. What am I to do my Savior?

No comments: